If your visa application has been refused or if your visa has been cancelled you may be able to appeal this decision to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT).
It is extremely important to remember that you only have a limited time frame to make an appeal. In general, you must appeal the decision within 21 days.
Migration Solutions has a very dedicated team of people who provide reviews & appeal services:
We specialise in areas such as:
- Visa cancellations
- Reviewing decisions for jurisdictional error
- Assisting with an application for Ministerial Intervention
There are a number of options available to a visa applicant if their application is refused:
- Lodge an application to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT)
- If the application is unsuccessful at the AAT, that decision can be challenged at the Federal Court
- Or go directly to the Minister of Immigration requesting Ministerial Intervention
Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT)
The AAT conducts independent merits review of administrative decisions made under Commonwealth laws.
Decisions are made by a tribunal Member who will review the Department of Immigration's decision and the facts of your situation.
The Administrative Appeals tribunal (AAT) reviews a decision “on the merits”. This means that we take a fresh look at the facts, law and policy relating to the decision and arrive at our own decision. The AAT must make the legally correct decision or, where there can be more than one correct decision, the preferable decision.
Once you have lodged a request for Ministerial intervention, the Minister of Immigration will determine whether or not they believe the visa should be granted to the visa applicant regardless of whether they meet the visa requirements or not.
The request usually needs to be an extremely compelling case for the Minister to intervene.
How long do I have to make an appeal?
Generally you have 21 days to appeal the decision at the AAT. Find out more
Key people for Reviews & Appeals
CEO / Principal Migration Agent
Registered Migration Agent Number: 0100185
Mark Glazbrook is the Managing Director of Migration Solutions and has been involved in the migration profession for over 17 years.
Vanessa De Pretis
Senior Migration Agent
Registered Migration Agent Number: 1388116
Vanessa is a registered migration agent and project coordinator at Migration Solutions. She specialises in family visas and migration appeal process.
Practice Manager / Executive Migration Agent
Registered Migration Agent Number: 0641294
Nam is the business operations manager and a senior migration consultant at Migration Solutions, responsible for the day-to-day business operations of work undertaken.
Migration Solutions in the media
- Mark provides an overview of South Australia’s skilled migrant intake within the automotive industry, as well …Read More >
- Mark comments on the last-gasp ministerial intervention of the Immigration Minister to allow a British police …Read More >