The Australian skilled migration program targets people who are under 45 years old, highly skilled, speak English well and who will quickly make a contribution to the Australian economy. Included in this program are permanent residency (migration) visas with unrestricted work rights.

Invitation-only application

Except for Skilled Independent (New Zealand Stream) Visa, all intending migrants interested in the points based skilled migration are required to submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect. You will then receive an invitation to lodge your visa application. 

To apply for an Australian Visa, you need to find the appropriate type of visa that will be suitable for your qualifications, skills, experience and family composition. Our Migration Agents have the experience to assist you with eligibility requirements. 

Basic requirements

  1. Age - You must be under 45 years of age when you apply.
  2. English language ability - You must have Competent English (Achieve 6 or higher in IELTS or equivalent).
  3. Qualifications - You must have post-secondary (such as university or trade) qualifications. In a small number of occupations, formal training and relevant work experience may be acceptable. Your skills, qualifications and work experience must have been assessed by the relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation.
  4. Nominated occupation - When you apply, you must nominate an occupation which fits your skills and qualifications. Your nominated occupation must be on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL).
  5. SkillSelect - Most applicants will need to go through the SkillSelect system. This involves first making an Expression of Interest and receiving an invitation from the Department of Immigration to apply. 

If you are not able to satisfy these basic requirements, you should not continue with a general skilled migration application as your application will not meet the legal requirements to be granted, however, there may be other options available, such as an employer sponsored visa. The best way to assess this, is to book a consultation with our experienced Migration Agents. 

 Visa subclasses

Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) - This visa is a permanent visa for people with skills in demand in the Australian labour market. Applicants are not required to be sponsored by a relative or a State/Territory Government.

Skilled Sponsored (Subclass 190) - This is a permanent visa which requires nomination by a State or Territory Government.

Skilled Regional Sponsored (Subclass 489) - This visa is a four (4) year provisional visa for people who are unable to meet the criteria for a permanent skilled visa. You will have the opportunity to apply for permanent residency after you have lived for two (2) years, and worked at least 12 months, in a Specified Regional Area of Australia. You must be sponsored by an eligible relative living in Australia or obtain nomination from a participating State or Territory government agency.

Skilled Regional (Residence) (Subclass 887) - A permanent visa for Subclass 489 visa holders who have lived for at least two (2) years and worked for at least one (1) year in a Specified Regional Area in Australia.

Skilled Graduate (Subclass 485) - This is a temporary visa allows overseas students who do not meet the criteria for a permanent General Skilled Migration visa to remain in Australia for 18 months (Graduate Work Stream) or up to 4 years (Post-Study Work Stream) to gain skilled work experience or improve their English language skills. This visa has no restrictions on work, study and travel.

Skilled Recognised Graduate (Subclass 476) -This is an 18 month temporary visa for graduates of recognised overseas educational institutions who have skills in demand in Australia. This visa allows recent graduates of selected overseas universities to gain up to 18 months of skilled work experience in occupations in demand in Australia.

If I only have moderate ability in english will I be eligible for this visa?

To be eligible for the general skilled migration you must obtain a six minimum in IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Find out more

Key people for General Skilled Migration Visas

Nam Hoang

Practice Manager / Executive Migration Agent
Registered Migration Agent Number: 0641294

Nam is the business operations manager and a senior migration consultant at Migration Solutions, responsible for the day-to-day business operations of work undertaken.

Call Nam on 8210 9800 or email him

Full Profile >

General Skilled Migration Visa video testimonials

Migration Solutions in the media

Go to Migration Solutions in the Media >

Connect with us