The 2022-23 State Nominated Skilled Migration program is now open and the South Australian Government has published a revised skilled occupation list. Skilled migrants and international graduates are able to seek nomination from over 500 occupations. This is the most expansive list of any state in Australia.
The South Australian Government has prioritised those nominations in in-demand industries. These include health, ICT, education, engineering, agribusiness and trades OR those that can bring skills to high growth sectors such as hi-tech / digital, health and life sciences, green energy, defence, space and cyber security.
Here is our breakdown of the key components of the program:
2021 – 23 Program Highlights
The following places are available as part of the 2022 – 23 migration program year:
- 2,700 Subclass 190 nominations
- 3,180 Subclass 491 nominations
- A total of 5,880 places available
- A simplified range of nomination streams, with a direct application for most
- A single Highly Skilled and Talented stream via a registration of interest open to both onshore and offshore applicants
- Offshore applicants to be selected from Skill Select to apply for state nomination
A simplified range of State nomination streams, which include:
- South Australian Graduates – Direct Application
- Working in SA – Direct Application
- Outer Regional SA – Direct Application
- Long Term Residents – Direct Application
- Highly Skilled and Talented – Registration of Interest – ROI
- Offshore – Selected from Skill Select – EOI
SA Graduates (requirements include)
- Have completed your SA qualification and meet study requirements
- Currently working in the nominated or closely related occupation (same ANZSCO first 2 digits)
- Meet the minimum work experience requirements for your nominated occupation
- Working at least 20 hours per week (Subclass 491) or 30 hours per week (Subclass 190) with a minimum of 3 months’ work experience (post qualification) for most occupations
- High Performing Graduates options available for some occupations, must have completed SA qualification in the same field as the nominated occupation and score the minimum GPA as specified by the occupation. Bachelor Degree holder must have commenced work (for higher qualifications exempted)
Working in SA (requirements include)
- Currently working in the nominated or closely related occupation (same ANZSCO first 2 digits) for at least 20 hours per week /40 hours per fortnight for most occupation
- Meet the minimum work experience requirements listed for your nominated occupation
- 6 months’ work experience for Subclass 491 and 12 months’ work experience for Subclass 190 (in most cases, unless specified otherwise for your nominated occupation)
Outer Regional SA (requirements include)
- Currently living and working in Outer Regional SA
- Working for at least 6 months in any occupation for at least 30 hours per week/60 hours per fortnight
- Employer must have a premises located in Outer Regional SA and be operating for at least 12 months
- Available to Working Holiday Visa holder (check eligibility)
Long Term Residents (requirements include)
- Have been living in SA for the last 5 years and working for the past 6 months in any skill level 1,2,3 or 4 (Carer or Aide) occupation.
- Have at least 12 months’ work experience in the past 3 years
- Be working at least 20 hours per week (Subclass 491) or 30 hours per week (Subclass 190) for most occupations
- Available to Safe Haven Enterprise (SHEV) visa holders (check eligibility)
Highly Skilled and Talented (requirements include)
- Submit ROI and be invited to submit a state nomination application
- Have proficient English or hold a Passport from certain countries
- Be earning $80,000 per annum and working 30 hours per week
- Have experience in a highly skilled occupation.
- Onshore (in SA / Interstate) – have already commenced employment in SA or have an employment contract to commence work in SA
- Offshore – have experience working in international recognised organisations or multinational companies with an SA presence.
Offshore (requirements include)
- Submit EOI and be invited to submit a state nomination application
- Highly competitive – subject to work experience in the nominated or closely related field and English level
*Please note each occupation specifies which streams are available and if any additional requirements apply.
**Please note, this information is provided as a guide only. Please contact Migration Solutions if you would like to obtain a professional assessment of your eligibility for any visa or to meet the new SA Government State Nomination requirements.
GSM – Basic Requirements
- Age – You must be under 45 years of age when you apply.
- English language ability – You must have Competent English (Achieve 6 or higher in IELTS or equivalent).
- Qualifications – You must have post-secondary (such as university or trade) qualifications. In a small number of occupations, formal training and relevant work experience may be acceptable. Your skills, qualifications and work experience must have been assessed by the relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation.
- Nominated occupation – When you apply, you must nominate an occupation which fits your skills and qualifications. Your nominated occupation must be on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL), Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) or Regional Occupation List (ROL).
- Skill Select – Most applicants will need to go through the Skill Select system. This involves first making an Expression of Interest and receiving an invitation from the Department of Immigration to apply.
Disclaimer: This news update contains only general information. Please contact us for further information and advice based on your personal circumstances.